Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Mascara Cocktail

Mixing beauty products to produce a superior end result is nothing new.  From hair serums, to facial moisturizers, to shampoos and conditioners, to primers and foundations; the trend has been happening for quite some time.  And in many cases, I think the theory is spot on.  The final product, often referred to as a 'cocktail', is generally better than any of the single products used alone.  Some people combine products for simple time restraints.  Why take twice the time to apply two products when you can save a few precious moments in the morning by applying simultaneously?  Some choose to cocktail their ablutions (or what-have-you) because they feel that the two, once combined, enhance each other.  Or, where one product is lacking, the other may pick up the slack.  For example, a vitamin rich shampoo combined with a shine enhancing shampoo.

Whatever your reasons, the trend is tempting.

I had heard about mixing mascaras, but never really considered this particular beauty product, simply because I have my special favorite that never steers me wrong.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it, as it were.  The only reason I was tempted was because during my last excursion to Sephora, I happened to receive a free sample of They're Real! Mascara with my purchase.  One fine morning, not so long ago, I was applying my makeup and discovered to my great dismay that my Covergirl LashBlastVolume was down to its last dregs!  Desperate, I grabbed the free sample of They're Real! and applied it to my bare lashes.

I was pleasantly surprised with the result.  Despite the color (the sample was black, but I prefer black/brown as it feels more natural), the application and end result was amazing!  The end of the wand, instead of tapering like most mascara wands (including my LashBlast), was sphere-shaped.  This was the first time I'd used this type of wand and I found it ideal for targeting those impossibly tough-to-coat mini-lashes at the corners of my eyes.  The application was smooth as silk, and when I was finished with my two coats (I always apply two coats of mascara), my lashes looked miles long!

The only downside I found with They're Real! is the flaking.  At the end of the day it was apparent that the longevity of the product was lacking, as little flakes dusted my under-eyes and cheeks.  Also, I found that it smudged easily.  Even on a dry, cool day with no watery eyes, a little smudging occurred.

Because of these shortcomings, I decided to try a mascara cocktail the following morning.  This time I applied the They're Real! first, then I applied my (brand new!) LashBlast, as that baby NEVER flakes on me.

Perfect combination!

They're Real! allowed me to coat every single lash and the LashBlast kept all flaking OUT OF THE EQUATION.

All in all, I will definitely continue my cocktail trending, both with mascaras and other beauty products.

No comments:

Post a Comment